Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Point of View

So last week I made some changes to the blog and made a commitment to write 2 hours a day on my story. I would like to say I was successful in keeping to that commitment, but not entirely. I did spend about two hours every day working on my story, but I didn't do much in the way of actual writing.

I was able to track down this incredible excel document that helps you not only organize your novel info, but also dig deeper into who your characters are and what their journey will be in your story. I've been a little obsessed with it (hence no actual writing) but it has actually been extremely helpful in figuring out the direction my story is going and how I'm going to get from point A to point B.

There's just one problem. All of this organizing has made me think I need to change the point of view the story is being told from. The problem with that is I'm already 20 pages in and it seems a little daunting to go through and change everything...

At present it is being told in first person by three different characters. Each chapter is labelled with whose point of view you are reading from (only one P.O.V. per chapter). It was working out alright until I realized I'm going to reach 30 chapters and still won't be near the end. Granted, each chapter is short, but I'm not sure how well I like that idea. I've never really had the opportunity to read any fiction books like that (several short chapters), so I'm not sure how effective they are. I know that if I change the P.O.V. to third person, I can combine some of my chapters and it won't be quite as...choppy.

What are your thoughts? Should I keep it first person and just leave it with multiple short chapters, or should I change it to third person and make the chapters a little longer? And why should I keep/change the point of view?

You can comment below with your responses. Thanks for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment